Christmas

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Double Digits

So what do you follow up a Double Header weekend with??

Double digit mileage, of course.  Of course she says like she planned that madness.

I didn't plan it.  Well, I kinda planned it but only in the way of saying well if we feel really good for that 8, we would shoot for 9 and if 9 feels good, then why not get the 10 miler out of the way so the impending doom I don't have to think about it to much more. 

The plan last night was to leave at 915am and head to the East down the nice flat highway.  Run for 4.5 miles, turn around and head back.  Winds were should have been out of the NE at 5-8mph (that should have been the first clue that this run was going to take on a life of its own..the wind NEVER blows ONLY 5-8mph in Nebraska.  Especially not what I have a long run planned.) 

The wind was NOT blowing 5-8mph.  More like 10-15mph.  Not terrible but really exciting either.
NOT FLAT.  No massive hills except that one, but several little ones that made us work a bit harder then we had initially planned on.

Got there a little late (trip to the vet before...hey, we are calving...we always need stuff at the vets.)  Took off and started chatted.  Its been awhile since Katie and I ran together so we had alot of chatting to catch up on, which was great because my playing is way outdated and I haven't gotten any new tunes yet. 

We made it a whole 2 miles before I had to pee.  Yes, I know...but we happened to be near a home that we know of and I knew she wouldn't care if I jumped behind her tree....but the guy who I didn't know getting a horse saddled to ride out and check on the cows in the corrals next to her house...he might care.  So we went for a visit to her house, used her bathroom and took off again. 

2 miles down and already a potty break didn't make me feel real great for the remainder of the run.

We kept on chatting and kept on running and before I knew it the watch was at 4.75...oops.  So there goes the 8 miles...and the 9 miles.  We would be at 9.5 when got back to the car....and when your  at 9.5 then why wouldn't we keep going for 10??

Because after 8 miles I had crazy pain across my lower back and down the back of my legs to my knees.  Both of them.  Because I ached and was already dreading the rest of the day knowing that by 1030am I had asked punished my body to do more then I have asked it to do in almost a year. 

Because I love my new shoes and really want to see if I still love them after a nice painful, long run.  I DO!!!!

Because while I do may hurt for the rest of the day and most of tomorrow I will regret not going for the .5 for a week month year.  Lets face it.....I don't remember all the good runs I have had...but I certainly remember each and every run that I let beat me.  Stop .5 miles from 10 would be letting the run win.  Not. Gonna. Happen. 

10 miles 1:33:50. 

Bring on 13.1.

1 comment:

  1. Great job getting a 10 in, it does make a world of difference!

    ReplyDelete