Christmas

Monday, November 12, 2012

Goals

I'm a very goal driven person....it keeps me motivated and pushing myself for more.  I need goals, realistic and non, short term and long term, completely related to what I'm doing or not...doesn't matter, I need a goal.
Sometimes my goal is to just finish the damn race!

I wasn't always this way....I was most definitely a "wing it, fly by the seat of your pants, whatever happens happens" girl for awhile.  Then I started running and found myself looking head at C25K and shooting for my next goal.....Week 1, 1 minute of running....Week 2, 90 second of running.....so on.....I found myself being crazy proud of myself when I achieved those goals....and that started it. 

So I keep finding more and more to push myself with....maybe a PR at an upcoming race, or making it to a certain number of races, getting a horse ready to run at events in our county fair, potty training my 2 year old by Christmas (that's wishful thinking, but still...it can be a goal). 

Its not even that pretty, but I want one so bad
I can taste it!!!
I bribe myself with stuff sometimes (I want to be in the Half Fanatics because I want that damn jersey) but not always.  More often, the pride and confidence that comes with setting a goal and achieving it is what drives me more then a pair of shoes.  Not always....but mostly. 

I don't always hit my goals.....and I'm ok with that.  Not thrilled, but I know I tried...sometimes shit happens life gets in the way and adjustments have to be made.  I wanted to run 1000 miles in 2012.....with 580 in right now, I'm not gonna hit 1000.  But I didn't plan on taking as much time off after Lincoln as I did, or my piriformis issue forcing me to take extra time off and cancel some runs/races.  No worries.....I can only work with what I have and do my best. 

And really, isn't that all anyone can ask of themselves at anytime, in any situation?

What are you running goals?  Are you goal driven or allergic to them? 

1 comment:

  1. I grew up in Western Nebraska, on the edge of the Sandhills. Now live in Central Nebraska. I tagged along with my dad mule deer hunting a couple of times--enjoyed your posts!

    ReplyDelete