Christmas

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Mode + Reset

Just came as close to have a full on panic attack as I would ever like to be.  Might be a little dramatic, I agree, but all the obsessed dedicated Garmin Forerunner users will sympathize understand exactly what I am talking about.


First of all, my running plan got a little screwed up when Pippa's basketball practice was cancelled because the gym was set up for a funeral dinner tomorrow.  Didn't know that till I got the phone call so my plan to run in town while she was practicing was foiled did I really just say "my plan was foiled" oh goodness, its time for wine.   Went home and had all the intentions of getting a run in before it got to dark. 

Changed my clothes, found my iPod, grabbed my Garmin and turned it on....and nothing happened.  No beep.  No locating satellite.  NOTHING. 

Blank screen. 

O.M.G.

I tried plugging it in at another outlet.  Nothing.  Tired plugging it in to the computer.  Nothing.  Tracked down the box with the directions in the rements of a tropical storm my bedroom.  No help there. 

My heart rate started to increase when I went with the tried and true solution finder.....Google.

Much to my dismay it seems that this is a common problem with the Garmin's.  Occasionally, they get overload and just stop.  At least I knew I wasn't alone and the racking of my brain trying to remember if I had dropped it or spilled something on it was for nothing....I knew I wouldn't let anything like that happen to my Garmin.  My cell phone, yes...but not my watch.

After much searching for 2.5 minutes I found a reoccurring theme.....push "reset" and "mode" at the same time, hold for 10 seconds and try to turn it on again.

So I held my breathe not really, but it adds to the dramatic effect, right....AND I HEARD THE BEEP!  So happy, I could have done a happy dance.  I may have done a happy dance.  Oh hell, I totally did a happy dance!

The Garmin is now charging quietly on the counter.  Totally missed my run time because I am a big, fat baby and scared to run in the dark by myself  but for the sake of my Garmin, I'm OK with that not really but I have the dtreadmill I can still go spend some time with the idea of drinking wine sounds much MUCH more appealing.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you posted this, because now I know what to do when my Garmin takes a crap. Glad you got it working.

    ReplyDelete